Monday, October 12, 2009

Not the final goodbye...


Just as I was beginning to get comfortable with Mumbai, its time for me to leave. And suddenly, I don’t think I’m too comfortable with that.

What was it that I used to say about Mumbai?
Noisy, crowded, polluted…???

And yet I can’t shake off the first surge of something exhilarating that I had smelled in this air when I had first walked out of Dadar station on 16 July. Something other than the smoke and dampness in the surrounding had caught with me and it’s as if I can feel it in my senses all over again. It smelled like freedom, a heady sense of purpose, and a spirit so like me that I could never walk away from, despite the city’s many vices.

Gosh, I’m surprising myself!

And yet, having said all that, I still have no reason not to go back to my precious Goa… as always!

But I know I’ll be back – back to explore Mumbai as Mumbai is, back to the gallis and locals, markets and malls, to the crowds where you can be invisible and not worry about being judged, to a life which knows not the snails pace, to never ending opportunities, undying spirit and most importantly – the freedom!

I know I’ll be back, to that part of me which is sure to bring me back!


This one is to all my new friends – Charlette, Sarita, Mandar, Mahesh, Pradeep, Megha, Hetal, Dinesh.
And of course – Atya and Gaurav…

7 comments:

  1. The adjectives “Noisy, crowded and polluted” perfectly describes Mumbai and its life also makes reader to think about glitch about this city.

    However this city has something which pulls many people like us towards it.

    Mumbai totally rocks !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are not here, bkz we are free, we are here bkz we are not free...
    still this city has some sort obscure attraction, even I feels the same. Thanks for penning down the concepts beautifully.

    Happy Diwali

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks...
    I used to hate Mumbai, but u can't ignore it.
    My friend Shreyas who always faught with me siding by Mumbai is gonna love this post!

    HAPPY DIWALI to both of u. And everybody else!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love d way u've put everythin!

    Dont worry, i'll keep u posted abt Mumbai frm now on!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. U bet!i miss mumbai 2 alot!cant wait to come back.....................:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This city can do that to you! It's also the people, more than the place.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know what u mean, its the whole attitude of the place tht catches up with u!

    ReplyDelete